Sunday, March 6, 2011

Generation Gap

Last week I heard that although the current generation can do things more technologically than our parent's generation, we are not able to do things they could.  Make sense?  Well, it means that just like our parents can't do things we can do, we can't do things our parents can do.  I thought this was interesting and kept listening.  They gave a list including mending, driving stick shift, and building or repairing.  As I listened to them list off examples, I thought the list was true in many aspects.
Luckily, I had parents who made us learn.  I can't say I know how to repair many things, but luckily Brady does.   And by 6th grade I could make pajama pants!  But more importantly, I know how to sew if I need it (and repair the rips in jeans since money doesn't grow on trees).
The one item on the list I almost didn't pass was driving stick shift.  Most cars now seem to be automatic, and if they are stick, they can be switched into automatic, or you choose stick because you like that kind of thing.  But not me.  I always drove automatic.  In high school I briefly learned how to drive in the parking lot of Hires while the driver of the stick shift car got out running chasing someone, and I had to pick them up. . . driving stick.  So this summer when we got a stick shift car for me to drive, it took some time to become smooth, not kill it, and remember to press the brake and not the clutch (true story).  Luckily, I can now drive stick!
So of course our parents know more than us, but maybe we can still have the upper hand?  I'll keep telling myself that when I'm a parent.

No comments: